Tuesday, February 16, 2016

It's Better To Laugh Than To Cry

    Who knew that old, well-used furniture, curtains, fixtures, and our dilapidated house would become "in".  What a bonanza. My ship came in without any effort whatsoever. Thanks Pinterest! 
     I just have to laugh. While the denizens of all things popular in the world of homemaking are having a field day using markers on their too new furniture to "distress" them, I am hugging myself with delight that all of my furniture is already quite distressed. 
    All I have to do now to have the ultimate in shabby chic is to clean it squeaky. Any day now, I expect Better Homes and Gardens to come knocking on my door to do a photo shoot for the magazine. 
     I sure could use some Annie Sloan paint on the kitchen cabinets. On the other hand, around every door and under every pull is an exquisite line of the chic-est of shabby-ness already. Why bother? 
    I fully intend to update my perfect kitchen one of these days with proper lower cabinets. When I paint them, I am going to buy some "un-shabby" oil based paint and do it right, Pinterest notwithstanding!
    I admit though, that I am impressed that we've discovered that the old and even well-used might actually be better than the expensive, cheaply-built new. And now that "anything goes" for decor; I can have the nicest in up-and-coming for pennies. That's a good thing at this house. Looks great on the pictures, too. Easier on grandchildren, too. 
                                           Happy Pinteresting Day to You

4 comments:

  1. NO FAIR. I'VE NEVER BEEN ABLE TO MAKE MY DIRT LOOK LIKE SHABBY CHIC. YOU'LL HAVE TO MAKE A POST EVERY WEEK NOW TO SHARE YOUR WEEKLY TIP.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I giggled... very funny and true...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm loving this in my hundred year old house too. And struggling with the idea of decorating a remodeled house. It'll be a learning curve for this shabby chic/cottage style girl.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm wondering if our land lady will be impressed with the "distressing" her furniture is getting from my children...I hope she has a sense of what's "in".

    ReplyDelete

This blog has moved!

Please click here to see the latest from Stone House Scribblings.