Tuesday, November 13, 2012

A Cookie Recipe

2012-11-12 13.28.35

                              White Chocolate Craisin Oatmeal GF Cookies

We have been trying to find a good name for the latest cookie recipe around here. Last week I had a couple of cups of Dena’s pecans to use up and so the cookies were called, White Chocolate, Pecan, Oatmeal Cookies. Nobody likes to put that “GF” in there. I do not blame them. It is too much of a UFO (Unidentified Floating/Flying/Fried? Object).  Our boys are adverse to UFOs in their food.  Ingredients in soup or hot dish should either be so intrinsic to the dish to be entirely “invisible” or they should be entirely identifiable.  The unknowns are the objection.
GF (gluten free) puts a pause in the transport of the cookie from counter to the mouth in the hands of a male. “What? bean flour again?”  
“Don’t eat it then...saves more for the rest of us.” I offer my pat solution to iffy food. Dismissing them without compunction.
I honestly do not care if someone does not like my cookies, so when it was Jaden asking the above I let him sweat it out the same way. Five minutes later he reentered the kitchen still chewing, “Those are good.”  He left with a few more in his hand. He must have sneaked the first one when I was not looking. Could not resist, after all. 
Here is the recipe. One of two standard cookie recipes around here.

                                    Oatmeal Cookies

       ~4 sticks of butter
       ~2 cups brown sugar
       ~1 1/2 cups white sugar
       ~4 eggs
       ~1 tsp salt
       ~2 1/2 tsps soda
       ~1 tsp vanilla
       ~5 or 6 cups blended oatmeal
       ~bean flour 
Variations or Combinations Thereof:
       ~chocolate chips 
       ~dried fruit
       ~nuts

Cream together the first four ingredients but do not beat. Just barely blended is best. Add the salt, soda, vanilla, oatmeal and mix briefly. Add in the flour to get the dough consistency of  cookies that do not run all over the pan in the oven. You might work it in by hand or only a few seconds in the Bosch. Bake till lightly brown and take them out of the oven. They will finish pan baking in a few minutes and also be removable  by then. Hide till serving. Or watch them disappear immediately.

5 comments:

  1. Shilah made these for us two Christmas's ago when were at here house. They are fabulous. One Christmas I made them with white chocolate drizzled over the top to make them look more festive. Yes good cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Except you can make these with just oatmeal and no flour if you do it right too. And I used slivered almonds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you found a cookie you can eat and like, Mom. But can I stick to my "normal" cookies?

    ReplyDelete
  4. what camera do you use, Arla?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't want to know this. I am using the camera on my Android. It was very frustrating at first, but I finally learned that I had zero optical zoom, but lots of pixels. There are a few setting options and I can crop all I want as long as I take the biggest, finest, picture I can get initially.
      I was used to my expensive camera that had lots of bells and whistles. That camera took lovely outside pictures. But all good things come to an end. So I had to learn how to make do with the Android.
      I want to replace the old camera with one just exactly like it. Don't know when that will be. What you've been seeing here the last three months or so are just phone camera pics.

      Delete

This blog has moved!

Please click here to see the latest from Stone House Scribblings.