Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Christmas Scribblings


 The season of Christmas is here. It's the time for Christmas letters and cards coming in the mailbox every day. It's fun to get them. It's not so fun to make one for all of your mailboxes. This year we had Amy's boyfriend take a picture of us and I have only just now ordered a box of twenty cards with envelopes accordingly for sending out. Twenty are not enough, I know. If they're nice I'll order a few more.
   It's also the time of year when stories of other Christmases come out. This year I am reading Myra Scovel's collection of Christmases they had during the years they were missionaries in China and India. We live rich and boring lives by comparison. I'm not complaining though. We have had our share of Christmases that we could hardly afford, too, not like theirs, but always full of wonderful memories.
    We made Christmas cookies, a bit early, but it was nice to have a tray of cookies handy to take along when we visited Elv's family this past weekend.
      Elv and I traveled down to Sparta to meet with his family for a birthday supper and to visit his elderly mom. It was an extra special weekend to me because I got to spend travel time with Elv alone. And because Brad and Amy were having a regular Christmas-y weekend with youth: a formal banquet just for fun with their large group of friends from church and neighboring churches, and volley ball on Saturday. And because the Graber gathering was quiet and interesting with just Elv's siblings and spouses. Sometimes it's nice to just have the old folks in our lives together. Things come up in the conversation that wouldn't otherwise when we are just us.
   When we arrived at Mom Graber's apartment there was our niece, Lorinda, keeping house, cooking, and making sure we were all comfortable. She was there basking in all the presence of Aunts and Uncles, too, but mostly she wanted to spend time caring for Grandma Graber for a weekend. And we loved having her there. Besides I especially love visiting with her. She has affirming her family and friends down pat. Thank you, Lorinda for our good weekend.
     On Sunday morning we tuned in to listen to Lorinda's husband preach.  "Sometimes we are so stuck in the past, our faith expects nothing new." A.Dexter
   Elv and his brothers reminisced with Mom quite a lot. Mom's short term memory isn't good at all, but it makes the old memories much more available to her for us. Twice, at least, they talked about The Alaska Trip. This memorable family trip was taken in 1967 in a pickup and camper. There were all sorts of interesting details about the trip. I wanted to see the photographs, but among the whole row of carefully labeled and dated albums there were no pictures of that event. We asked Mom. She seemed a little puzzled about this, too. She suggested that Uncle Vernon had them, since he was the camera person. (Gin if you're seeing this question, I'd love to hear from you about the photos.)

 Back to cookie day. The little boys did firewood chores for Grandpa because he promised them sled rides after supper accordingly. There are no pictures, but I'm sure the tradition will live on. Winter in Wisconsin at Christmas time has to be the best time of the year for making happy memories.

How about a
                         List of Cookies We Made
~ Buckeyes
~ Raisin filled cookies
~ Frosted sugar cookies
~ Linzer pepermint cookies
~ Peanut butter blossoms
~ Jam filled cookies
~Gingerbread cookies
~Monster cookies







And it's time for Christmas music everywhere. The mall music is sadly silly and pretty awful most of the time. I have no idea why but they're playing the spiritual, Oh, Happy Day along with I Saw Mama kissing Santa Claus. Very strange combination. Someone has a rather messed up idea of good Christmas music.
    This year I am enjoying the song, I Heard The Bells.  Here are the lyrics for you. By Casting Crowns. Yes, it's a new version of an old song. And no, I don't generally enjoy Casting Crown's type of music, but this one is very nice.
I heard the bells on Christmas day
Their old familiar carols play
And mild and sweet their songs repeat
Of peace on earth good will to men
And the bells are ringing (peace on earth)
Like a choir they're singing (peace on earth)
In my heart I hear them (peace on earth)
Peace on earth, good will to men
And in despair I bowed my head
There is no peace on earth I said
For hate is strong and mocks the song
Of peace on earth, good will to men
But the bells are ringing (peace on earth)
Like a choir singing (peace on earth)
Does anybody hear them? (peace on earth)
Peace on earth, good will to men
Then rang the bells more loud and deep
God is not dead, nor does he sleep (peace on earth, peace on earth)
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail
With peace
Then ringing singing on its way
The world revolved from night to day
A voice, a chime, a chant sublime
Of peace on earth, good will to men
And the bells they're ringing (peace on earth)
Like a choir they're singing (peace on earth)
And with our hearts we'll hear them (peace on earth)
Peace on earth, good will to men
Do you hear the bells they're ringing? (peace on earth)
The life the angels singing (peace on earth)
Open up your heart and hear them (peace on earth)
Peace on earth, good will to men
Peace on earth, peace on earth
Peace on earth, Good will to men

After I posted this I saw that Three Green Doors had already commented on this song in her latest post. I had no idea, please forgive me, Luci. You said it so much nicer than I did anyway. amg

2 comments:

  1. I loved this post. It put me in such a Christmas-y mood. The cookies look scrumptious! And the song is beautiful. I hadn't heard it before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm doing a catch up on your blogs...its a good thing you had your Christmas cookie back early on!! :-) Also I wouldn't mind just having a regular 4x6 photo of the one of your 'family'!! We didn't get pictures this year!!

    ReplyDelete

This blog has moved!

Please click here to see the latest from Stone House Scribblings.