Monday, November 13, 2017

Owning Our Daily Lives



The list I wrote up for this week fills a whole page. I wrote what work and plans belong on each day. All organized and readable with the scheduled times and places for work three days and for helping Dru and Lisl move into their "new" home on Wednesday. Busy times. I  own the schedules and responsibilities and the joys of the whole list in my mind and heart right now on Monday morning accordingly.
Accordingly, with prayer and preparation. And even some evening house work to keep it all flowing well. 

I love this busy-ness: keeping both stoves stoked with firewood, the hearths tidy, pushing laundry through morning and evening, and then folding while Elv and I rest by our fire at the end of the day. Last night Elv helped me do up the Sunday dishes while Brad swept  up the middle of the floors of our popcorn and wood chips.. family living. I enjoy my work at the store... this other part of homemaking.
I love owning my own housework and messes. I don't love my own sewing, but I own that, too, by making an hour here or there for cutting and sewing skirts "in the cracks" as Elv says, this week.


The married girls in our world are busy with each their places in life. Charlotte asked for new serving spoons from Sharon's store in Idaho while I was going there anyway. I found them again sitting here on my desk this morning. So I set them on Kristine's cookbook that she left here after making a special desert for the two of us trying to eat smart...owning our personal needs in a happy, responsible way.
I love these girls, too, who keep life ticking for their own little families. The world goes round "happy" for all of us because we girls take care of our homes and our people choosing to be happy to do it. It's ours to love or hate.
Loving home making by regarding it as eternity art is a wonderful way to own it.
Right now, Lisl is taking ownership of a very old log house, literally. She is also taking ownership of hardwood floors that need some loving and the log walls and some bad windows. But it is going to be a lovely, gracious cabin in the end all because we love old houses and the unique problems that go with them. 

Think darkened logs, a huge field stone fireplace, area rugs, small cozy bedrooms, a new kitchen, and interesting quirks to spark wonderment of yesterday lore. There's a beam downstairs that needs tending says Elv, and two windows in the living room that almost aren't. But it's going to be a home for Lisl and her family. There are chores and animals and fruit trees. Of course, owning it means work and responsibility. On the mantel piece is a sign that says why this is all so important and rich.


No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog has moved!

Please click here to see the latest from Stone House Scribblings.